Tuesday, April 8, 2014

Confessions of A Former Sheeple

Well, I admit it. I’m a former Sheeple turned Prepper. I lived carelessly and oblivious to what was going on in the world around me and I hope by sharing my story that other Sheeple will see the light. If I can learn, if I can open my eyes, if I can go from following blindly & blissfully along  to being aware then I hope others can as well.

I don’t think there is one thing that triggered this change; it was many some of which I will share and some which are very personal that may come out over time.

9/11 was the start of it, at least I believe so, but it could have started sooner and I just didn't realize it or wasn't aware of it yet. Looking back a little more in my own history, it was probably my dad who planted the seeds a long time to grow. Just like many Americans I watched, I cried, I wondered how this could happen. I mean really, how could this happen? It’s not about the conspiracy theories for me or the fact that it happened. It was what I heard afterwards. People immediately started pointing and blaming. It’s the governments fault,  it's the airlines fault, the list could go on forever. HELLO?? Who votes these people into office that you are blaming? Who gives the power to the government and the big corporations?

Yet there were other stories of courage.  Flight 93, and the passengers that tried to stop it.I started to wonder what it took for them to try and stop it. What courage it must have taken, what would it take for all of us to stand up against wrongs. But, I kept living life, never preparing for anything. As a matter of fact my motto was “I plan to make no plans”. Yep, you are cringing aren't you? My only plan was to not make any plans – none, at all.

I didn't save for a rainy day. I didn't lock my doors. I didn't stock up on food in case there was a big storm. Nothing – please don’t hate me; I just didn't know any better.

And then I forgot about it for a while until Hurricane Katrina. Again, how could this happen? People on the streets dying, looting, shootings, rapes – people trapped with no food or water. HOW COULD THIS HAPPEN?

And then something started to click, as the government was blamed for “lack of response” and “lack of preparedness”, I thought about how unprepared the people themselves were and how I would react. Talk about getting hit in the head with a brick; but it still didn't click. Why? Because my life was just fine and it happened there to them and not to me.

Denial and fear of thinking about what could happen is dangerous. Add to the mix that the government promises to do better and make changes that you believe and soon you forget again.

Yes, I’m a little hard headed.  It takes a while for me to learn. But thankfully, the seeds were planted. I started paying more attention to what was going on around me. Not globally but locally. My town couldn't even plow roads and I was stuck in my house for over a week. People were quick to blame everyone and everything else over the smallest situations. There was no individual accountability for anything.  Then I had someone try and attack me in my own driveway and it took 10 minutes for police to respond.
And that was the last straw!


It started with wanting to protect myself.  I won’t be forced to rely on anyone ever again. I won't sit for 10 minutes cowering waiting to be saved EVER AGAIN!

If you are an experienced Prepper reading this, thank you and please stick around and share your tips and tricks. I have a LOT of catching up to do, don't I? And if you're a sheeple, someone who follows along blissfully and you think it can't happen to you, I'm here not tell you that you're wrong but to ask you, isn't your life worth more than waiting around and doing nothing to prepare?

Just look through the news, every day isolated & localized SHTF scenarios are playing out in small towns everywhere. It may not have happened to you, but could you handle it if it does?

No comments:

Post a Comment