Monday, April 21, 2014

Who Doesn't Love A Good Bonfire?

Starting Bonfires

Starting a fire or a bonfire can be difficult. But not if you have the correct tools. I've been trying to teach myself how to start fires without matches and it has not gone so well.  I need more practice.

It's funny how fire can attract people.  I started the bonfire and neighbors joined in and we sat around the fire until around 3 am.

This is very important to remember. 

In a SHTF situation, starting a fire can invite unwanted guests. It's important that you build small contained fires that can't be seen from miles away. The wind can carry the smell of smoke, flames can be seen and smoke and ash travel.



I had a lot of brush to burn and downed trees from this winter. My fire pit is huge! About 10 Feet long and 4 feet wide and 3 feet deep at one end.  Go big or go home!



I'm going to put some of the ash in my compost pile and I read somewhere that if sprinkled around a garden bed it can be used as a natural pest deterrent. I'll let you know if that really works or not.

Unfortunately, I was not successful in starting the fire without a match so to speak.  I used a road flare.  I'm thinking of keeping a few road flares in my B.O.B.

What do you use to start safely start a fire?  Do you dig a pit so it can't be as easily seen?

No comments:

Post a Comment