Saturday, April 12, 2014

I'm Not a Lumberjack

Well Prepper Community, it seems I've managed to survive a new challenge and make a few mistakes along the way. It's always entertaining around here - especially when I get my hands on a chain saw. This winter has been particularly rough on my property. I have a lot of downed trees or trees that snapped off at the top and I needed to start clearing them before they cause any issues for my summer activities or fall hunting season. It's better to take care of them now before it get's too hot.

I perused a few other Prepper sites, learned about proper use of a chain saw, watched a few videos and well went for it with full enthusiasm.

For this round of tree tackling, I only focused on the ones that snapped or were already down. Oh, and one leaner. I have not tree wrangled the ones that need to be taken down before they fall. I needed experience handling a chainsaw first. I must say, chainsaws can feel very heavy after a couple hours and this morning I can almost still feel the vibrations; I've got jelly arms!


The tree below had snapped about midway down the trunk in the wind and it was a dangler. I was concerned that when I cut it that it would sway and whack me in the head. I think I did pretty good. It fell exactly where I wanted it to without hitting the other trees!


I wasn't so good with the cut on this tree. I don't think I gave myself enough rest between cutting one tree to the next. My arms got tired. I was just so excited from the last successful cut that I just kept moving. And now I have to figure out how to get the stump out or cut it down to the ground. Oh, well lesson learned.


But this is where I really screwed up. I was taking down a tree that had snapped in half and I also took out two good small trees with it. Not good!



Things I Learned:

  1. I am not a lumberjack!
  2. I really should have had help.
  3. Give myself a break.
  4. Cutting angle is very important.
  5. I love the smell of sawdust.

Up Next, I have to tackle this tree!


Yep, the one that is sideways into the other trees. I might just leave it there. If I do tackle it, I'll be sure to let you know.

What to do with it now?

  1. Rent a chipper and make my own mulch?
  2. Cut the trees trunks shorter and make a Horticulture Bed?
  3. My offspring wants us to build a bunker LOL
  4. What else can I do?









No comments:

Post a Comment